Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Right or Wrong?

I have absolutely no recollection of how I got into a discussion with someone about ethics. (I guess a couple of drinks would do that to anyone, and more so to the likes of me who have believed that they were born to question everything under the sun). I am the last person on the planet who can talk about 'moralities'!! But there I was, sitting with 'someone' (henceforth referred to as S.O.) with a drink in one hand and smoke in another, talking about 'morality'.

To give a little background about me:
Now, the family I come from, clearly lays down its' rules – smoking is WRONG. Drinking (alcohol) is a SIN that they choose not to talk about, which is why I guess, it's not mentioned in the rule book. The verb 'smoking' refers to a cigarette, coz a joint is something they believe exists only in the Mafia world. This rule book is given to the guys when they are in their teens. I have 2 theories as to why the girls of the family are spared this sacred book:

(1) They think that the girls are intelligent enough to know that smoking and alcohol are injurious to health
(2) With a girl like me born into the family, they believe that it is easier for boys to live by the rules

Those who know me would vouch for (2). Those who know my parents would vouch for (1). And those who know both, would be as confused as I am.
Whatever the reason, my (convenient) interpretation of it is – because I did not inherit the rule book, I am free to make my own rules.

That said, I wish to state that I enjoy a great relationship with my parents. They have either given up on me or they have accepted that the blame of getting me into this world, lies with them in all totality.

Back to the original story,
So, I was sitting with S.O. talking about the rights and wrongs

S.O. : There are things that are right and there are things that are wrong
ME : There is nothing absolute.. right or wrong is always relative.
S.O. : OK, like?
ME : Like if my daughter, hypothetically, got raped, and I killed the guy.. would that be wrong?
S.O. : No that would not be wrong.. he would deserve it..
ME : But don't you always say that killing is wrong? Besides, the guy's family would certainly think that it was wrong on my part to have brutally murdered him!!!!!! So what I perceive as right, someone else would perceive as wrong.
S.O. : This is an extreme case but in a normal day to day life, rights and wrongs need to be defined.
ME : But what is right for me could be wrong for you. You don't drink or smoke, I do.. you think its wrong, I don't. You married the 1st girl you dated, I married the 3rd guy I was romantically involved with, discounting the ones I dated without any romantic interest.
S.O. : Lets not talk about you here, you are from another planet. We are talking about normal human beings living within the boundaries of our (Indian) society
ME : OK. So lets talk about society. What do you think is society?
S.O. : The people around you constitute the society. There are rules which have been laid down and you are expected to behave like a responsible citizen by living up to them.
ME : Hmmm... OK. So you mean that guy walking down the road also constitutes the society?
S.O. : Ya you can say so...
ME : But he does not know who I am, does not care if I got anything to eat today, would not pay for my medical bills if I were to be hospitalized, and would not blink an eye if I died right now. And you are saying that he cares about what I DO??? And that I should give him a right to run my life??? Bullshit...
S.O. : Aaarrrgh.. Forget it .. There is no point talking to you .. you are impossible..

And the conversation, that I thought was enjoyable, met with an abrupt end.. Notice that, S.O.? .....What I thought was enjoyable, you thought was annoying!!!!! It's all about perspectives in life.

So after the session, I gave a serious thought to the whole thing. Are their any absolute rights or wrongs? Maybe there are, maybe there aren't. However, I am not qualified enough to define any guideline on how the society should function. I have not contributed significantly (or otherwise) to this 'society' and therefore I have no right to comment!!!!!

All I can have are opinions ... and I can't impose them on anyone else (and it's not too much to ask if I expect the same from others). If I feel that something is “wrong”, that is my opinion, and I will not do it... but that does not mean that I will judge someone for what he/she does. Likewise, there are certain things that I don't mind doing, for I do not perceive them as “wrong”. And I am OK to everything that anyone wishes to do. If what (s)he does affects me, I sure need an explanation, for I believe there exists one for every action. But I am free to accept or reject it. In either case, no one's life is affected by what I think of him/her, just like mine isn't by what anyone thinks of me.

I guess life is easier if I just live by the below mentioned 2 lines:
“Those who matter, don't mind
Those who mind, don't matter”

No comments: