Sunday, July 30, 2006

It has been a pleasant day today, after a week of terrible and intolerable heat. It's surprising how the smallest things in life can cheer you up so much. Just last night I was in such an irritable mood (I didn't even remember why, when I woke up this morning). But I have been happy today, for no reason at all (blame it on the weather). It's an unusual and the most unlikely day to be happy though, for 2 reasons

(1) My clothes have been stolen from the laundry room!!! Yeah, you heard it right!!!
(2) I have five cents in my pocket, and that's ALL that I have. So in effect, I am broke for now.

I have more clothes than I can count or handle (not my fault!; it's all because of the sale season which never seems to end!!), but I love each one of them. I treat them like my babies. So, today being a Sunday, I decided to give a few of them a hot water bath. I put them in the dryer so that they don't catch a cold after their refreshing bath. After about 45 min (that's how long they take to dry) when I went to pick them up, I realized that some of them are missing. Now, this is strange.. I swear I had left them there.. I looked all around, but no trace of them... I did not know whether to cry at the loss or laugh at the person who took the pains to steal someone's worn clothes!!!! What kind of a sicko would do such a thing? And if you are stealing, you can't be a chooser!! You cant choose to take the ones that you like (and surprisingly my favorites as well) and leave the others behind. They feel neglected and unwanted! You just can't do it. You should be an equal opportunity thief, woman! ( I am assuming it will be a woman, coz I do not like the idea of a guy stealing a girl's clothes).

I spent 2 full hours debating if I should brood over the gone clothes or just let it be. Then I decided to just pray that whoever has taken them, takes good care and that they are happy in their new found home. This situation calls for a cigarette, so I looked for one, only to find that there aren't any left in the pack. Time for some shopping!!!! So I went to the store and asked for a pack.
“$4”, she told me. I promptly took out my card and gave it to her. She looked at me and with a finger, pointed right behind me. I was confused – what is she trying to do?? Show me the finger?? Nonetheless, I looked in the direction of that 'stiff' finger. “Cards accepted only for purchase more than $5”. The first thought that crossed my mind was, “that's wrong English, dude!”. But I decided to let it pass. Aware of the fact that I only have 5 cents, I told her to make it 2 packs, and paid using the card. Thank Lord for the plastic world!!

They say, you miss a thing most after you have lost it. Yeah, I am missing 'money' – really, not kidding. On the way back, I thought all the times when I could have controlled myself and NOT been so generous. (No, I am not talking about my shopping sprees, they are all essential). I thought of this Sunday a few weeks ago, when a school boy rung my door bell, and told me how he was working part time to pay for his school. I promptly gave him a $20 bill.... then there was this another time when just outside the Albertsons, I was approached by a girl who told me how she was lost and her bag was stolen and she had no money. I promptly have her a $20 bill. All my frens gave me a disgusted look and told me how I was out of my mind... Yeah I know, maybe it was a stupid thing to do.... but I look at it this way.. if she was lying and I gave her the money.. not that bad.. all I lost was 20 bucks.. but if she was telling the truth and I didn't give her money... too bad, she would have lost faith! That's gonna be bad. So I always settle for the seemingly better option. What say, pals?

Whatever, but I do miss those 40 bucks today.. I really do..And I am thinking... what if I stand outside Albertsons and ask for some money??? Would anyone give me anything?? I doubt it!!!!!

2 comments:

Suri said...

Hi there..

I am impressed by your writing... may be I am thinking on the same lines... Reached your blog page continuing from the advise that you gave to one lady in pain... defining love ....

I am new to this world of Blogs .. got introduced by one of my friends who shared her experiences on blogging... Strange it might seem to others in IT.. that being in IT .. for last 9 years .. I never got introduced to this..

On the surface it seems to be interesting... I heard or read about Advaita ... the a - dwaita ( no two .. but one ) one ness ... This internet seems to be a whirlpool .. channelising the human thought .. churning out huge amount of thought threads and making all thougts into one... all the thoughts of same density are to accumulate and coalese into one....


Stange and wierd feeling of happiness and depression striked me once I went through what you were saying in your blogs

Strange happiness : Because I found that many are having and carrying the same irky feelings and am not alone
Strange depression : I thought I was intellectual and these thoughts occur only to me .. Now the trained compulsiveness of brain might make me choose a unique path of thinking ...(unique till it finds another matching pattern of thinking)

Why am I writing to you ?... I think you have the capacity to bear this crap ( oh my good ness .. I am Judging a stranger too..... ) What can I do .. I have the same brain through which I need to emulate this blog .. or rather comment on this blog...

MJS said...

Nenu,
Thanks. Yeah I agree that the internet is a way to channelise thoughts, irrespective of geographical boundaries..